Monday, July 21, 2008

Calling All Firetrucks!

It was a typical warm Houston night, and we were on the way home - consequently almost home - from a baby shower for my office manager, Jamie. It was at this particular time, not too far from home, yet not close enough to it, that in the rear view I saw a small black car smash into the guardrail, then bounce across two lanes, and slam into the concrete divider, temporarily coming to a halt. As a concerned citizen, I pulled my car over to the right and dialed 911. While describing the scene to the operator, the pinball car began to slowly creep forward, picking up speed to a steady 5-7.3 miles per hour, rolling right past our van. At first I thought whoever was inside was making a run for it, but as it passed I noticed the airbags had been deployed, but I couldn't see anyone sitting in the seats. The car came to an abrupt halt when it hit the guardrail (for the second time now), and I began to pull the van forward, wondering if perhaps my emergency services may be needed, all the while talking to the 911 operator. As I nudged the gas, Dara yelled, "Don't get too close, it may blow up!" There was, of course, no smoke and no fire. I stopped the van, got out, and, hoping to be a hero, went up to the passenger side window. Peering in, I was astonished to find no survivors in the car. I found noone at all in the car.
I went back to see if someone had been thrown from the train (like mama), but there was no "red pavement." At this time, 2 young african american gentlemen began approaching me from a grassy area between the highway and the feeder, one said the car was his friend's, who consequently, even though hurt, was able to make it several hundred yards ahead of us unnoticed, and could I give them a ride to find him. "Hmmm." PoPo's comin soon, I told them, ask them for help. They left faster than their "friend's" car hit the guardrail and boomeranged.
So here's the fun part. Soon after, the police arrived, and while we were writing a statement, 2 firetrucks arrived. The officer who gave us the statements came over to our car and said, mockingly and waving his hands, some crazy person had said the car was on fire, was going to explode, it was the end of the world! The poor firefighters had been woken up (it was late) and had to put on all their gear for nothing.
We agreed it must have been some crazy person. Turns out, it was.
As I rolled up the window, I turned to Dara and said, "The 911 operator heard you yell, 'it could blow up!'"

3 comments:

Rebecca Banner said...

ROFL! WOW! What a story. Thanks for sharing.

Maly and Dan said...

Wow, that was a scary experience! Luckily you guys didn't get hurt. That was funny with the firemen though.

Team Screws said...

I am so glad you guys came to the shower! I LOVED hanging out with you and getting to chit chat! The firetruck story is great! Sounds like something that would have happened to us! Thanks too for your concern over the past few days! Hope to see you soon!